The CBED Micro-Loan Program is part of the State Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism. This program is designed to financially assist community-based enterprise in providing a diversification of opportunities that create jobs, strengthen community identity, retain or create community cultural anchors and reinforces community social, cultural, economic, and spiritual values.
Conventional financial institutions traditionally do not provide loans to establish or expand community-based enterprises.
Consideration for loans under this chapter shall be extended only to applications who meet the following requirements:
- Organization, small business or enterprise engaged in community-based development industries, including traditional industries;
- Not able to obtain a loan from private and/or other public financial institutions;
- Furnishes information to show that the applicant has the ability to repay the loan out of income from the business;
- Shall apply for all applicable licenses and permits;
- Shall satisfactorily demonstrate to the department that it can operate on a sound financial basis.
Micro-Loan Application Procedure
Please use the Application for Agricultural Loan-Micro Loan Program (PDF) link at the bottom of the Micro-Loan Program website when applying for consideration for CBED Micro-Loan Program. Click on Link. Print out application. Send completed applications to:
State of Hawaii
Department of Business,Economic Development & Tourism
Business Development & Support Division
P. O. Box 2359
Honolulu, Hawaii, 96804
Use of Proceeds
Proceeds from the CBED Micro-Loan Program may be used for, but not limited to:
- Working capital
- Construction, or improvement of facilities
- Purchase of equipment
- Payment of production and marketing expenses including materials, labor, and services
Limitations and Terms
Each loan shall bear a simple interest rate of not less than three and not more than ten percent a year. Three percent interest will be granted for all new loans for up to the first two years.
The loans shall be for an amount not to exceed $25,000 and for a term not to exceed ten years.
For More Information on CBED Micro-Loan
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone (808) 587-2757
- Application for Agricultural Loan-Micro Loan Program (PDF)