International Student Attraction
In 2013, 4,450 international students contributed approximately $109 million to the Hawaii economy — a figure that includes only college level students, according to the Institute of International Education. If factor in the other components of the for-profit educational market, this figure rises to $160 million.
In turn, the $109 million direct impact generated 2,207 jobs and $16 million in state government tax revenues according to DBEDT calculations.
- Number of International Students: 4,450
- Direct Spending (only college level students): $109 million
- Number of Jobs Generated: 2,207
- State Government Tax Revenue: $16 million
- Per Student Contribution: $3,600