Department of Education Survey
HAWAII DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
THE POWER AND PROMISE OF GLOBAL RELATIONSHIPS
- Increase and sustain quality international exchange relationships that strengthen the global competencies of Hawaii students and educators and will make learning more personal and relevant
- Foster an international perspective and an appreciation of language and cultural diversity through peer-to-peer sharing and learning of language and culture
- Promote partnerships that support implementation of the Multilingualism for Equitable Education Policy of the Hawaii Board of Education (105-14) and the Hawaii Department of Education’s 2030 Promise Plan.
PURPOSE OF SURVEY
- Determine status of school programs that develop students’ global competencies and establish baseline for annual targets
- Provide an annual benchmark to estimate the economic impact and number of international students studying in Hawaii’s public schools or engaged through school visits, etc.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Hawaii Sister States (18) and Sister Cities by County (77)
- 257 public schools
- Elementary (K-5, K-6): 167
- Middle/Intermediate (6-8, 7-8): 39
- High School (9-12): 33
- Multi-level (K-12, 7-12, K-8, K-9): 18
- Distribution of online survey: tbd
- Deadline for response: survey: tbd
- Reporting of results: survey: tbd (Note: only State/County totals will be reported. No data on individual schools or students will be reported)
*Special thanks to the Hawaii Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism (DBEDT) for collaborating with the HIDOE in providing guidance and technical assistance in developing this survey!